You should see I.O.U.S.A.
So Eli and I went to see this documentary movie called IOUSA. I now have no idea how I am going to sleep tonight. The movie was about the national debt. Fun facts folks. Do you know what the size of the national debt is currently? Shocked me, its 8.7 TRILLION dollars and its projected to reach 10 trillion by the time that Bush is out of office. When Bush took office, the national debt was 5.6 trillion which means that he will have doubled the national debt while in office. SCARY folks. What was surprising to me too was the fact that this has not entirely been caused by the war in Iraq. There has not been a balanced budget since Bush took office, and his tax cuts have decreased revenue. What was even more interesting was who do we owe all of this debt to? 44% of the national debt is owed to foreign countries, Japan and China mostly. So basically once the baby boomers reach retirement, the majority of the national budget is going to be spent on social security and medicare and paying interest on our national debt, and if at some point we can't pay our national debt our country implodes and we become part of Japan and China. Great! I'm wondering how long it will take to move Eli to Canada? Thank goodness I've got citizenship in both Canada and the U.S. All kidding aside, I'm not going to take another bar exam so moving to Canada isn't really that practical. I just know that I think its so important that we all really pay attention to the real issues this election and make sure that we elect a new leader of this country that will have the balls to really do something about the terrible state this country is in. Ok off the soapbox, but really folks you should see this movie! For more info check out Roger Eberts review of the movie. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080821/REVIEWS/329
Labels: politics


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home