Friday, January 23, 2009

My Cat is Constipated...

So the other morning I was going to the bathroom and Spencer was sitting on the sink at about eye level with me. I noticed that his bottom lip looked a little funny. So I grabbed him and checked it out. It looked like he had an infected pimple. I called Eli over to look and sure enough he thought the same. So I scheduled him an appointment to go in to see the Vet to have it checked out. My day was really hectic that day so it was fortunate that I was able to get an evening appointment. Usually when Spence has to go to the vet, I just take him sometime during the day, but since it was an evening appointment Eli came too. While we were driving over there, we were talking about how it was strange that he had been vomiting more than usual lately. Eli commented that he thought Spence was doing it about once a day, where normally its just a few times a month if at all. Then Eli mentioned that when he cleaned the litter box that morning there was barely anything in it. So we mention this to the Vet and she seems concerned. Spencer usually just lays on the table during an examination and pretty much plays dead, like get me out of here. But when the Vet pushed on his tummy he would growl. The Vet tells us that the pimple on his lip was just that a pimple. Apparently Cats get pimples, who knew? She was very concerned about the other issues though and recommended to us that we have Spence x-rayed. When the x-rays came back we discovered that the poor kitty's small intestine was completely full of poop! It looked like he hadn't pooped in quite a while. I felt like such a bad kitty parent not noticing something sooner. The Vet said she didn't think that there was anything obstructing his bowel so they proceeded to give him an enema. About half an hour later the tech comes out to tell us that he hasn't pooped yet so they are going to give him a second enema. Nothing happens after the second on either, so after two hours and a $300 bill the Vet's send us home. We get home and let him out of the box and direct him towards his box. He just wanted to rub on our legs and get attention, but as he's rubbing we notice that his butt is leaking gross poop juice. We had to quickly throw him into the bathroom and bring his box in there for him. About an hour later he finally did poop. Eli was also very greatful that we have a steam cleaner so he could clean the carpets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home