Saturday, October 18, 2008

Isn't this a pretty shot...

When I went up to Park Rapids for my yearly check up a few weeks ago, they did a bunch of labs to make sure that everything is running good inside me. Last week I got a letter from the clinic telling me that my B12 levels were not where they would like them to be. Enclosed in the envelope was a prescription. I assumed that it was for some pills and took it to the Target pharmacy at a few minutes before closing. The lady kind of gives me a funny look and says, "I'll have to see if we have this." So she goes away and comes back with a packet full of vials. She says, "Did they give you syringes and needles?" I must have looked pretty flabbergasted because she then she tells me about how her mother gets them, but goes to her clinic to do it. So I take my prescription back and read the entire letter that was sent with the prescription. Sure enough, it says take this to your local clinic. So I go home and call my dad the ER nurse to find out what the heck is this, and why do I need B12 anyway? According to Dad, the prescription says that I'm to have a shot once a week for the next four weeks, every other week for the next four weeks and then once a month for the next year. Woa, that sounds like a lot of shots. Then there's the fun part that come January 1, 2008 we have to switch our insurance to a high deduct able plan with a HSA. I'm not real excited to pay to have a shot each month next year. I had my appointment at my local clinic on Friday. The Doc said that she didn't think my B12 was low, I am at 271 and the normal range is between 200 and 600. She said that it could be because people who have had gastric bypass don't absorb it so well that maybe they want to make sure I don't go below normal. She also insisted I get a Tetanus shot since I couldn't remember when the last time I had one was. Great two shots. So after sitting int he little room for what was almost 20 minutes, the nurse comes in and gives me the Tetanus shot, with a Daffy Duck band aid. She then looks at the B12 shot, which is pink and says isn't this pretty? Yeah real pretty...love shots!

1 Comments:

At October 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

I talked to Mandi about it today. Even though you are in the normal range, you are at the very low end of normal. Because of bypass and the fact that you are taking supplements and still at the low end, she wanted you to have the shots. I cant imagine what my levels are. SCARY! P.S. Started B-12 yesterday lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home