Does the electric can opener make life easier?
When I was a kid we used to have an electric can opener. I remember thinking it was a great gadget because the hand powered can opener was hard to use back then. At some point Dad used our electric can opener in his Christmas lighting display. For those of you who don't know, my dad had the best Christmas lights display in town for several years. In fact, we won the Christmas lights contest so many times, they retired the contest for several years. Back to that can opener thought, If I recall correctly our electric can opener was disassembled and the motor was used to make the giant Santa Clause that we made wave at everyone. We never did get a new electric can opener after that, in fact I think my parents still don't have one to this day. Well, as an adult I always thought, I'm going to have one of those electric can openers since the Christmas display robbed me of using one throughout my childhood, and in fact I registered for one when Eli and I got married. I was given one at my shower by my former co-worker. I used it quite faithfully for a long time after getting that electric can opener. However, since moving into the new house, it has been stashed in a cupboard and the old hand powered opener has since returned from a box in the closet to the cupboard drawer. Eli is running the Twin Cities Marathon tomorrow and I cooked up a huge pasta dinner for him and we invited the Schmidts to join us. While I was making my sauce, I realized that I was reaching for the hand powered can opener rather than taking out the electric one. It kind of dawned on me that it really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to open a can with your own strength, and its probably less hassle then digging the electric one out of the cupboard. It made me realize that its funny how your perception of things as a kid can really influence your adult life, and how much those Christmas decorations traumatized me...kidding Dad they were great!


2 Comments:
You wrote an entire blog about a can opener. Awesome! :)
I hate electric can openers! The handheld ones are so much easier and more convenient. I have one from Pampered Chef and I love it!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home